It has been confirmed by the Libyan Navy that at least 31 migrants have been killed in what has been described as a ‘shark attack’ while trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.
According to a report in The Times:
Sharks set on migrants who fell from overcrowded boats crossing to Italy, the Libyan navy has claimed.
At least 31 people died and 40 were missing after migrants took advantage of good weather to attempt the crossing in two small boats, the navy said on its Facebook page yesterday.
The alarm was raised in the early hours of Friday and two Libyan coastguard boats found horrific scenes when they arrived, with some victims having been bitten by sharks, it said.
A report in International Business Times added:
Captain Nasser Al-Gammoudi told Italian newsapaper Il Giorno: “When we arrived in the area, off the town of Garabulli, [one] dinghy was semi-submerged and still had 44 people clinging on to it, whom we saved.
“There were lots of bodies all around and we saw there were four or five sharks swimming among them, large blue sharks, a very aggressive species.
“When we brought the bodies on board we noticed that some of them had been bitten, so it’s possible that among the missing some may have been eaten.”
However, the claims have bene dismissed by experts.
Ezio Amato, a marine biologist, said that while white sharks and tiger sharks “have been known to attack lone swimmers” they have never been recorded attacking in large groups, reports The Times.
If these claims are genuine, it just confirms that those criminals who are organising this transfer of people in unsafe vessels need to be brought to account as soon as possible.
Tens of thousands of African migrants accept free flights back to Africa after illegally entering Europe
Up to 10,000 Illegal African migrants who have made it to Europe have accepted free flights home as they give up their European dream.
Those who have failed to find a new life in Europe have urged their countrymen to not make the dangerous trip.
“We are targeting flights home for up to 12,000 migrants this year, after only about 2,000 last year,” Federico Soda, of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), a UN agency, said.
“The voluntary repatriation flights are being organised out of Libya by the United Nations agency, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) which has sent nearly 10,000 migrants home in 2017, a figure that is expected to rise to 12,000 before the year is out. The numbers involved are a significant rise on 2016, when just 2,000 took up the offer, reports The Times.”
This is great news all around, there are fewer migrants in Europe and African nations now have more manpower to build their own economy. Not to mention the countless lives saved by urging their countrymen not to make the trip.
The government has unveiled brand new plans which it believes will stop the migrant crisis
Theresa May will unveil a £75 million three-year package to fund aid agencies to intercept migrants in desert regions in Africa to persuade them from taking the dangerous boat journeys into Europe.
The package, which will be paid for out of the aid budget, is part of a goodwill gesture to EU leaders at the European Council summit starting tomorrow.
It will come as Mrs May will also make an offer for the protection of rights of EU citizens in the UK.
The government plan isn’t to turn back the boats, or take the migrants to Tunisia (safest port of call), but to ask politely that they don’t come.
It’s going to be a failure.
In 2016, a record 181,000 people arrived in Italy via this route, with a greater number expected in 2017.
Of the 5,000-plus migrants who died at sea last year, the vast majority – nearly 4,600 – lost their lives on this Central Mediterranean route.
International Development Secretary Priti Patel said: “The UK has been at the forefront of responding to the migration crisis and our work to date has helped reduce total migrant numbers to Europe since 2015.
“But worryingly, more and more people are now using the incredibly dangerous Central Mediterranean route.
“This new UK support will provide desperately needed aid and protection to tens of thousands of the world’s most vulnerable. But critically it will also make clear the massive risks involved at every stage of this route and provide alternatives so those who change their minds can return home.”
I’d be surprised if this approach does actually work.
What do you think? We’re always interested to see what our reader’s views are, comment below!